I’ve decided to start a blog to keep track of my progress as I work on a yet to be named project which I’ll refer to as rabblFPS for now.
I’m using Unreal Engine 4.20.3 and have been using a mixture of CC-0, self-made, and purchased models. Ideally I’d love to be able to use 100% custom created content and models, but alas budget and scope are important determining factors in my decision to go the route I have at this point in time. I’ve been working on the project for around 2.5 months as of this post and hope to do regular updates here as I make more progress to showcase new features and discuss my approach.
Below I’ve attached a few gifs and screenshots showing different bits of progress:
This was a fairly easy effect to achieve. I started with some simple bullet hole decals that I created in Photoshop, which I saved out as TGA with an alpha mask layer.
Imported those into the engine and setup a material for the Deferred Decal.
After creating the material, I simply added an
Event Hit node in the blueprint for my projectile, and connected it to a
Spawn Decal at Location node so that any time my projectile hit another collider, it would create the bullet hole at the location in which it collided.
As you can see above, I also opted to add a
Random Float in Range node for a little bit of variation in the decal size.